Key dates

  • How do I find out about important dates?
    You can find a list of key dates on the Important Dates pages on the La Trobe University website.
    • Census date is the last day you can withdraw from a subject without having to pay for it. It's also the deadline to finalise your Commonwealth Support arrangements (if eligible). Check the census date webpage, or view your statement of account in StudentOnline to see the census dates for your subjects. When census dates fall on weekends or university holidays, the last working day before census is the deadline for telephone or on-campus advice.
    • Enrolment and re-enrolment dates. If you miss the cut-off date for enrolling you may lose your place in the course.

    La Trobe Students studying via OUA
    For additional information please refer to the OUA website.
  • What are the census dates for my subjects?
    The census dates are available on the Course pages under key dates.  They are also published on the La Trobe University Calendar.

    La Trobe Students studying via OUA
    For additional information please refer to the OUA website.

Online study terminology

  • Common La Trobe University terminology

    Course describes a degree program, e.g. Bachelor of Applied Business.

    Subject describes the study modules or units within a degree - for example, an undergraduate business course typically comprises 24 subjects over 3 years.

    Core subject is a subject that is needed to complete your degree. A core subject usually needs to be taken at a specified time within your degree.

    Foundation is core first year subject designed to set the foundation to your studies.

    Capstone is a core final year subject developed to engage and challenge you in your new field of expertise.

    Credit points are the amount of points a subject contributes towards your degree. For example, to complete a Bachelor of Arts, students must complete a minimum of 360 credit points, with at least 120 credit points at third year level.  Most subjects are worth 15 credit points.

    Elective is a subject that is chosen according to your interests. They're not compulsory. Some restrictions may apply to which electives you can select.

    Hurdle requirement is a compulsory piece of assessment that must be satisfactorily completed in order to pass the subject.

  • What are Study Periods?
    La Trobe Online subjects are delivered over a period of time, referred to as 'study periods'. These study periods rotate and have a minimal break in between, allowing you to expedite your studies, or to tailor your studies to suit your lifestyle.  For exact dates please consult the intake dates section and key dates table on the applicable course or open access subject page.
  • What is the Learning Management System (LMS)?
    Your course and subject material will be made available to you through the Learning Management System or LMS. The LMS will contain all of the material that you will use throughout your course, and also provides a place where you can keep in touch with other students and our Academic team, who will be there to support you through your learning journey.

    La Trobe Online students may use one of three LMS'.  To access the relevant LMS for your course go to the Current Students page.

Online study general questions

  • What is online study like?
    Online study is flexible, you can login when it suits your schedule. Self paced, individual learning along with some group work will give you the opportunity to gain a broad perspective within your field or discipline.
  • Do I need to be available at set times for study?
    Online study is flexible, you can login when it suits your schedule. We recommend that you log in at least once every 48 hours to ensure that you're keeping in touch with the discussions within your subjects.
  • Can I study both face to face and online modes?
    Currently there are online and face to face study options available for select courses, please contact ASK La Trobe on 1300 LA TROBE (1300 528 762) to confirm if you're eligible for this study mode.
  • How much time should I allow for my studies?
    As a guide we recommend that you commit at least 10-12 hours per week per online subject,  specific information can be found on the course and subject pages. As everyone processes information and learns differently, this may take you more or less time, so we recommend developing a study plan early to help you achieve your study goals.
  • Can I study one subject at a time?
    You can tailor your online studies to suit your personal situation. In any one study period the minimum study load that you must undertake is one subject, which is classed as a part time study load. The maximum amount of subjects you can undertake in a study period is two, which is classed as a full time study load.

Online study specifics

  • Who do I study with (cohort)?
    When studying online you will be a part of a greater body of like-minded students from a range of different backgrounds and experiences. This will help you gain a holistic and varied perspective, through positive engagement with your peers.
  • How do I enrol in subjects?
    Enrolment for subjects is completed via the StudentOnLine system. Check the University Handbook for an overview of your course structure (also known as a 'study plan'). Take the time to understand the structure as some course structures can be complicated.

    La Trobe Students studying via OUA
    Enrolments for subject is completed via OUA's My Study portal.
  • What are intake dates and how soon can I start studying?
    The waiting time is minimal, our courses and subjects run over a variety of Study Periods, each with multiple intakes. For exact dates please consult the intake dates section and key dates table on the applicable course or open access subject page.

  • Is there a maximum amount of time I have to complete my course?
    At La Trobe the time it will take for you to complete your course will vary depending on your study load (the number of subjects you take each semester) and any prerequisites required for further study. Typically the maximum allowable time to complete your course is calculated by doubling the full-time duration and adding one year.
  • What are the exit points for the course?
    There may be a variety of alternative exits you can finish your studies with, depending on the course you're studying. If you would like further information, we encourage you to contact ASK LA TROBE or your Course Coordinator who will be in a position to assist you. 
  • Will I be advised on any textbooks, software or materials that I may need?
    You will be provided with a list of any required materials such as textbooks and other learning materials upon release of your unit at the beginning of the study period.

Application & Offer

  • How do I apply for a course or open access subject through La Trobe Online?
    Open Access Subjects
    Select the 'Apply now' or 'Start your application' button on the Open Access Subject page.
    Complete the Online enrolment form.
    Once enrolled in an Open Access subject, you will receive an email from the online team to confirm your enrolment and assist you moving forward. If at any time you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact us using the web form (

    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses
    It will take approximately 20 minutes to submit an application.  Before making your application review the 'Entry requirements' section on the course page to make sure you have all the information you'll need.   
    Select the 'Apply now' or 'Start your application' button on the course page.
    Complete the Registration light box and submit your details.  You will receive a confirmation email.
    You can continue on with your application by clicking the apply now button on the page or by clicking on the application form link in the confirmation email.
    For those courses delivered by our Partners you will be directed to their application form.
    If you've applied or expressed interest in a La Trobe University Online course  a member of our Future students team or our Partner's team will be in touch to confirm your application and answer any questions you may have.
  • I'm overseas, can I still enrol?
    Please contact us via our Future Students website.  
  • I'm a mature-aged student, will this matter?
    La Trobe Online welcomes mature-age students! In fact, approximately one third of La Trobe's students fall into this category. There are a number of difference schemes under which mature age students may apply, please contact our Future Students team on 1300 LA TROBE (1300 528 762) and we will be happy to assist.

    La Trobe's Tertiary Enabling Program
    This is a free university preparation program tailored for people who have left school, or who may or may not have completed Year 12, or who would like to go to university and who want to develop the academic skills necessary for success at university level.
    If you would like more information about the Enabling program, please contact our Future Students team on 1300 LA TROBE (1300 528 762) and we will be happy to assist
  • How do I accept my offer?
    Open Access Subjects

    You will be automatically enrolled into your Open Access subject. You will be sent a Welcome letter and email providing further information on your enrolment and how to access to La Trobe University student systems.

    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students

    Your offer will be sent to you via email. To accept complete the steps below to accept your offer:
     Step 1: Activate your account
     Step 2: Confirm your details
     Step 3: Accept your offer
     Step 4: Choose your payment option and complete the Commonwealth Assistance Form.

    For more information see the Accept Your Offer page on the La Trobe University website, which includes the accepting your offer video.
  • Why is there a delay in receiving an offer?
    There are a number of reasons that there may be a delay in receiving an offer. In many situations additional information may need to be sought. This may also include requesting transcripts for another institution. If you have any concerns about your offer please contact our Future Students team on 1300 135 045

Assessment and results

  • How do assessments work?
    Throughout your course, you will be tasked with a variety of assessments designed to give you the chance to exercise the theories and concepts you will be exposed to within your subject. These can take the form of academic essays, reports and case studies, to mention a few. Some subjects also contain group assignments that will give you the chance to collaborate in preparation for your chosen career. You can find more information about assessment on the course pages . Upon the commencement of your subject you will be informed of the specific assessment outlines and expectations.
  • How do exams work?
    Many of our online courses do not have any exams as assessments. Rather, your assessments will be facilitated through your Learning Management System. If you have any concerns about your assessments we would encourage you to contact your Course Coordinator, who will be introduced to you at the beginning of the Study Period.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    Exams are arranged by OUA Exam Services and conducted in the exam venue closest to you.  For more information please visit the OUA website.
  • Where do I find my results?
    Results are available through StudentOnline
  • What is Special Consideration and how do I apply?
    Special consideration can be granted for a serious illness, which can be physical or mental, requiring treatment by a doctor or other health care professional.

    You may have been unwell:

    - on the day of your exam
    - the period leading up to your exam or
    - the period available for completion of an assignment.

    Any applications for special consideration on medical grounds need to include a Medical Impact Statement from your doctor or health care professional.

    If you have a long-term illness you may be eligible for disability support to seek a Reasonable Adjustment. Use this support rather than lodging a Special Consideration application for each assessment task.

    For further information and to submit and application please visit the La Trobe University Special Consideration webpage.

Leave, defer or withdraw

  • Can I take time off from my studies/apply for a leave of absence?
    Leave of absence is only applicable for students studying an award course, as opposed to Open Access Subjects or Single Subjects which you can enrol in on a study period basis.

    To apply, complete the Leave of Absence form and submit it to ASK La Trobe. Organise your leave of absence before census date, otherwise you may be liable for that semester's fees, and may receive withdraw/fail results for your subjects.

    To submit the form online:
    - Print the form and complete by hand
    - Scan or take a clear digital photo of the form
    - Go to Ask a question
    - Fill in your student ID, name, La Trobe email address and mobile phone number
    - Attach the scanned/photographed copy of the form, click Continue. Note: Attachments are limited to 5MB in size

    You'll find more information about applying for a leave of absence in the 'Discover La Trobe Online' guide which is available in the Learning Management System (LMS) after you have enrolled.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    Download the LOA form from the OUA website and follow the instructions for submitting the form.

    For more information on withdrawing please consult the 'Discover La Trobe Online' guide which is available in the Learning Management System.
  • How do I vary my enrolment or withdraw from a subject?
    You can change your enrolment without any penalties up until the relevant census date.

    In most cases you can enrol or withdraw from subjects yourself in StudentOnLine. You may not be able to change your enrolment yourself if: 
       •   the subjects have requisites (conditions) that you haven't met
       •   your changes will lead you to overload your credit points
       •   the subject is not available or is full.
       •   it's after week two of the semester

    If you are not able to withdraw or enrol into a certain subject in StudentOnLine please submit a Variation of Enrolment (VOE). You can access the online VOE form via StudentOnLine, under the enrolment tab.

    If you want to enrol in a certain subject, but do not meet the prerequisites (or if it's after the second week of the semester), you need to contact the subject coordinator first and obtain approval before submitting your Variation of Enrolment. You can then upload this approval via the online form. If you do not get a subject coordinator's approval prior to submitting your online VOE form, there will be a delay in the processing of your VOE application.Changing the study period of a subject: If you want to change the study period of one of your subjects (e.g. from Online Study Period 1 to Online Study Period 2), you first need to withdraw from the subject, then re-enrol into it for your preferred study period.

    International students are required to be enrolled on a full time basis at all times, except where approval has been granted by La Trobe International. If you are wanting to under enrol, please contact La Trobe International first and obtain approval before submitting your Variation of Enrolment.

    Please note: It can take 48 hours for a subject to appear in LMS once enrolled on StudentOnline.

    If you can't see your subjects in LMS at the start of semester you should:
       •   First, log into StudentOnline to confirm that you're correctly enrolled in the subjects.
       •   Wait 48 hours after enrolment for the LMS subjects to appear in the LMS.
       •   Contact Ask La Trobe for assistance if your LMS subjects haven't appeared 48 hours after enrolment. You'll find more information about applying for Advanced Standing in the 'Discover La Trobe Online' guide which is available in the Learning Management System (LMS) after you have enrolled.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    To withdraw from a unit, visit the Withdrawing section of My Study Centre. Then tick the checkbox beside the unit(s) you would like to withdraw from and follow the prompts to confirm your withdrawal.
  • How do I vary my enrolment for an Open Access subject?
    You will need to withdraw from the subject in StudentOnLine.  You can change your enrolment without any penalties up until the relevant census date.
    For the subject you want to pick up you will need to submit a new Open Access subject form on the website.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    Contact OUA to discuss withdrawing and variation of enrolment processes and options.
  • How do I withdraw from a course?
    To withdraw from your course you need to complete a Discontinuation of Enrolment form and submit to ASK La Trobe.   Please note that you need to withdraw before census date, otherwise you will still be liable for any fees incurred that semester, and may receive a withdraw/fail grade for those subjects. 

    For more information please consult your 'Discover La Trobe Online' guide in the Learning Management System.

    Before making your final decision you may wish speak with your College staff, ask a question, or speak with counselling or careers staff. If you are an international student, please contact International Student Services.  You may have other options available to you such as deferring or taking leave from your studies.

    You are able to re-apply for a course you have withdrawn from, as long as you do not have exclusion sanctions.

    Depending on when you withdraw from your course you may be able to claim a refund or remission of debt.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    Download the withdrawal form from the OUA website and submit via OUA.
  • How can I get a refund?
    If you withdraw from a subject before the subject census date you may apply to have any fees you have paid refunded to you.

    Completed the Application for Refund form and email to

    The form is available on the Refunds page at the La Trobe University website.

    La Trobe Students studying via OUA
    Depending on the date OUA receives your withdrawal request you may incur a financial penalty.  For more information on refund of fees please refer to the OUA website.  
  • Under what circumstances can I withdraw and still get a refund?
    Remission of debt (La Trobe University)
    If you are a domestic Commonwealth Supported HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP student, you may be eligible to apply for a remission of debt because of special circumstances if you:

    - withdraw after the subject census date
    - were unable to finish or withdraw from a course.

    For more information or to download the Remission of Debt form from the La Trobe University website.

    Special Circumstances (La Trobe University Students studying via OUA)
    Special Circumstances is a program that takes into account serious events beyond your control that occurred after the Census date, affecting your ability to continue with your studies.

    These can include any of the following:

    - Medical reasons in which a medical condition became known or changed after the Census date and prevented you from completing your studies
    - Involuntary change in employment conditions, such as an increase in your employment hours or responsibilities that were beyond your control, which meant you were unable to continue your studies
    - Family or personal reasons, such as death or severe medical problems or unforeseen financial difficulties within your family, which made it unreasonable for you to continue your studies
    - Other extenuating circumstances

    There are two ways to apply for Special Circumstances:

    - Withdraw from your unit(s) prior to the Census date or the last day to withdraw (see Key Dates for the Census date of your study term). If you were successful in withdrawing prior to the Census date, you will not be required to apply for Special Circumstances (as you would not have incurred a FEE-HELP debt). If your withdrawal takes place after the Census date, but before the last day to withdraw, you can then complete your Special Circumstances application below.
    - If you are unable to withdraw from your unit(s) by the last date to withdraw (see Key Dates for the Census date of your study term), please wait for your final grade (usually Week 7 of the following study term). Once you've received the final grade for your unit(s), you can apply for Special Circumstances below.

    For more information refer to the OUA website.

Credit and advanced standings

  • How do I get credit or advanced standing for my previous studies?
    It may be possible for you to get credit, known at La Trobe as 'Advanced standing, for subjects completed and passed at other recognised tertiary institutions or a different course at La Trobe University. The subjects must be similar in content and standard to those offered at La Trobe University and relevant to your planned course of study.

    Advanced standing is assessed once you have accepted your offer. To apply for credit submit an 'Application for Advanced Standing' form. The course coordinator will then assess the subject(s) you have completed on a case by case basis. If you receive Advanced Standing you must still study at least 120 Credit Points at La Trobe University in order for you to obtain a qualifying award.

    You'll find more information about applying for Advanced Standing in the 'Discover La Trobe Online' guide which is available in the Learning Management System (LMS) after you have enrolled.

Commonwealth Support Places and Fees

  • Am I eligible for a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP)?
    Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) are by the Australian Government. To be eligible for a CSP, you need to meet the criteria, including being an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or permanent visa holder.  Refer to the  Australian Government Study Assist website for more information.

    In a CSP, your university fees are reduced, and you may be eligible to defer your student contribution (the remaining fees that you pay) to HECS-HELP. With HECS-HELP you do not have to make repayments until you are working and earning more than the repayment threshold.

    Note that some places (especially in postgraduate coursework degrees) are only offered as full-fee. Full-fee places are not subsidised by the Australian Government, and can't be deferred to HECS. If eligible, you may be able to take out a FEE-HELP loan.

    Up front payments - If you have a CSP you can still make up front payments to your student contribution or SSAF. Check your statement of account for payment options (including credit card, BPAY and bank transfer).

    Deferring your fees

    If eligible to defer your student contribution to HECS-HELP, complete an Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) in StudentOnLine before census date.

    La Trobe Students studying via OUA

    If eligible to defer your student contribution to HECS-HELP, complete an Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) on the OUA website before census date.

  • What is an Open Access Subject?
    Open access subjects allow you to get a feel of what it's like to study a topic under a specific discipline area. They also provide you with an opportunity to assess your own ability to cope with a fast paced online delivery mechanism. This will help  you to get an understanding of online study and give you a real feel of what you would commit to if you were to undertake a course in fully online mode. You an also prepare to balance your lifestyle accordingly.

    Note: Open Access subjects are not a direct pathway into the CSP course and completing it does not guarantee a CSP in to the course. Students wishing to apply for a course after successful completion of the open access subject will be assessed by course rules defined by La Trobe University. If eligible, the student can then use the successfully completed open access subject towards advanced standing credits, if applicable. 
  • Are Open Access subjects eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)?
    Open Access subjects are non-award/non Commonwealth Support Places and aren't eligible for university loans or HECS-HELP.
  • How do I apply for HECS-Help?
    If you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) you must complete the HECS-HELP eCAF, even if you pay 'up front'.

    All eCAFs are completed on StudentOnLine. Click on the eCAF tab and carefully read the instructions.

    Do NOT complete an eCAF if you are:
    - Enrolled in an Open Access subject
    - An international student.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    Complete the eCAF form on the OUA website.
  • Can I get FEE-HELP?
    FEE-HELP is available to domestic students enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place. For more information on FEE-Help please refer to the Australian Government  Study Assist website.
  • Are there any scholarships?
    A number of scholarships are available to new and to current La Trobe students. However, eligibility and application instructions are dependent on your course of study, as well as the a number of other factors. Additionally, we offer an Alumni Advantage of 10% to graduated undergraduate students of La Trobe returning for postgraduate study. For more information on scholarships please contact ASK La Trobe on 1300 528 762.

Student services

  • Can I get career advice?
    The Career Development Centre can help you build skills that will get you ready for work. The centre will help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to:

      - explore your career options
      - write a tailored and effective resume
      - understand the job application process and how to handle interviews
      - build your professional networks
      - gain experience working or volunteering
  • I need financial assistance, what do I do?
    There are a number of financial assistance options available for you. These include:

    - student loan
    - student grant
    - one-off emergency aid payment.

    More info about financial assistance and how to apply is available on the student financial support webpage.

    For some great budgeting tips and advice on how to live on a limited income whilst studying check out the living on a budget webpage.
  • What support do you have for indigenous students?
    If you have an indigenous background, La Trobe University offers a wide variety of support to help you in your course. For more information please contact our Indigenous support service available through the La Trobe University website.
  • I'm an English as a Second Language (ESL) student, will this course or subject be hard for me?
    Our courses and subjects are delivered at an academic English level, and the provision for in-course assistance is limited. La Trobe University recognises English programs from a number of institutions, if the language of your educational instruction was English, you will need to provide details of overseas equivalent Year 12 qualifications. Otherwise you must have attained an IELTS or equivalent score of 6.5 with no band lower than 6.0.
  • Do I receive a student card?
    You can request a student ID card. The process for getting your student ID card:

    - Take a photo of yourself
    - Fill out the online form and upload your photo
    - Collect your ID card.

    For more information and to access the form please visit the Student (ID) Cards page on the La Trobe University website.

Student assistance

  • I have/require special provisions due to health/personal needs.
    We are committed to providing equitable access to education under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and the Disability Standards for Education 2005 to ensure that students with disability can access and participate in education on the same basis as other students.

    A Disability Standards for Education 2005 Fact Sheet is available from the Australian Government Department of Education and Training which outlines the rights of students and requirements of the University under the Standards.

    If you are a student with a disability, mental health issue or ongoing medical condition or if you care for a person with a disability, Disability Advisers can help you meet the requirements of your course through:

     - adjustments to assessment and academic requirements
     - advice on managing university study

    More information can be found by contacting our Equity & Diversity team on 03 9479 2900 or by emailing or via the Equity & Diversity website.
  • How can I get help if I have an ongoing medical condition that affects my study?
    If you have a disability or ongoing medical condition, the Equity and Diversity Centre can help you.

    Help can come in the form of:

    - changes to assessments and academic tasks
    - advice on managing your study load.
  • I'm not eligible for special consideration, are there any other options?
    Special Consideration does not apply if you are unable to complete your assessment due to:

    - Armed services duty
    - Jury duty / court appearance
    - Responsibilities as an emergency services employee or volunteer
    - Religious or cultural obligations
    - Artistic commitments
    - An exam clash with an exam at another institution

    For exams, these are covered under Alternative Examination Arrangements.

    Elite Athletes are covered under the Elite Athlete Procedure.

    If you have a disability, ongoing medical condition or mental health issue you may be entitled to support from Equity & Diversity.

    For other assessment tasks, including individual assessment tasks worth less than 15% of the total for the subject, you must negotiate directly with your lecturer(s).

Student IT support

  • What is my La Trobe username and password?
    When you first enrolled with La Trobe University you were allocated a password. If you do not recall your username please contact ASK La Trobe (1300 528 762). If you no longer remember your password you will need to reset it. To reset your password you will need to register for self-password reset go to the following website:

    A help video has been provided to assist you with necessary steps to reset your password. If you have any difficulty resetting your password please contact ICT during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 to 5), telephone 1300 528  762 (option 3).
  • How do I reset my La Trobe University password?
    To register for self-password reset go to the following website:

    A help video has been provided to assist you with necessary steps to reset your password.  If you have any difficulty resetting your password please contact ICT during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 to 5), telephone 1300 528 762 (option 3).
  • How do I access my student email account?
    Once you're enrolled, you will be provided with an official student email address. This email address will be used by academic and administration staff to officially notify you about course / subject information, statement of accounts for fees, and all other University information and news. 

    When you contact academic or administrative staff, you must use your official student email account as it identifies you as a La Trobe student. An email sent from other personal accounts (e.g. gmail, hotmail, etc.) may not be answered due to privacy and confidentiality issues.

    Your La Trobe email address is your student ID number, followed by (e.g.

    You can login to your email account using online using  Office 365.  Your email password is the same as your credentials used to login to other La Trobe University systems.  If you have forgotten your password you can reset it on the Password Reset page.
  • How do I contact ICT support?
    If you need assistance with the Canvas LMS please contact Instructure on ph 1800 959 722.

    For all other LMS and general IT support, please refer to the La Trobe ICT webpage or contact them directly on ph 1300 528 762 (option 3). 
  • Who do I contact for Canvas support?
    If you need assistance with the Canvas LMS please contact Instructure on ph 1800 959 722.

Student Union services

  • Am I able to get legal assistance?
    There is a Student Legal Service provided by La Trobe Student Union (LTSU). The service is available:

    - by phone for all campuses
     - for drop-in sessions and appointments for Melbourne (Bundoora) and Bendigo.

    For more information refer to the La Trobe University Student Union website.
  • How do I access a Student Advocate?
    Student Advocates are employees of the La Trobe Student Union (LTSU) that are free, private and independent to the University. They can assist you with:

    - administrative
    - welfare-related, and
    - academic issues.

    They can also help you to present your case should you need to 'show cause' as part of academic progress monitoring.

    For more information refer to the La Trobe University Student Union website.
  • How do I join the Student Union?
    The Student Union have a membership program that gives students great deals, both on and off campus.

    You can apply online or in person at the La Trobe Student Union, Upper Agora West, Melbourne (Bundoora) campus.

    The Student Union also provides student representation, an advocacy service, legal service, second-hand bookshop, clubs and societies, tax help, events and activities and much more.

    For more information refer to the La Trobe University Student Union website.

General help and support

  • What is Discover La Trobe Online?
    Upon your successful enrolment, you will be given access to the Learning Management System (LMS). Within the LMS is a self paced course called 'Discover La Trobe Online'. The modules within 'Discover La Trobe Online' are designed to assist your transition to online study. They contain information on all relevant information that you will need throughout your studies such as, how to vary your enrolment, where to go for support, and what you need to do to be successful in your course.
  • Who do I go to for help?
    If you are unsure who to go to for help, start with ASK La Trobe ph 1300 528 762.  ASK La Trobe will be able to assist in most instances and if not they can advise who to contact.
  • What is the best way to contact La Trobe Online?
    The La Trobe Online support team can be contacted via the Contact form or via email on
  • Who should I talk to to if I feel I am being harassed or discriminated against?
    If you feel you have been harassed or discriminated against as a student or staff member there are options and support available.

    The Equity and Diversity webpage has information about different forms of harassment and discrimination. Harassment and discrimination officers can also be your first point of contact to discuss your situation and to help find a way forward.
  • How do I make a complaint or raise a concern?
    If you have discussed your complaint with the person concerned and this has been unsuccessful, you may consider lodging your complaint officially by talking to a Faculty Complaints Officer.

    The Student Complaints Office is also available to advise you of who can help and offer you advice on the support services available to you during this time.

    For more helpful information please visit the Student Complaints website.

    You can withdraw your complaint at any time. You can do this by contacting the appropriate Complaints Officer. If you do not know who this is or you need help, please contact the Student Complaints Office.

    La Trobe University Students studying via OUA
    OUA formally investigate all complaints, and they aim to deliver a fair and balanced outcome. OUA will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 48 hours. For more information on the OUA complaints process please visit the OUA website.

LTO Website

Still have questions?